Who am I?
Humanist celebrant, is it a real job?
Being an officiant comes with many beliefs about love and happiness. It is not only a profession but also a conviction.
- I believe that a wedding ceremony, a renewal of vows, and the birth of a child are all such significant and beautiful moments in a couple’s life, and each couple deserves to have their perfect, idealized ceremony.
- I believe that each love story deserves to be told, as each one is unique and magical in its own way. I can provide couples with the most beautifully written speeches that reflect the love they have for each other, and envisions the future they will share together.
- Lastly, I believe that love is the key to happiness, and being able to share this love is what makes this world a wonderful place.
My name is Marylin. I am the founder and full time humanist celebrant. I founded ‘A Lovely Day’ shortly after preparing my own wedding in 2013. My Husband and I weren’t looking to have a big religious wedding ceremony, instead, we wanted a small, outdoor celebration that was entirely personalized to reflect the unique and beautiful relationship that we share.
However, we found it very difficult to find someone that would help us create a non-religious, personalized ceremony in the location of our choice. Something more than a union at the Civil Registry office. Therefore, we decided to take it into our own hands
Knowing well that this would be a big project to take on as described here, we also knew it would be the only way to get the day we had been dreaming about – THE perfect day!
After our wedding, I rediscovered my passion for writing, and my love for putting thoughts and memories into beautiful words. At the time, I was doing my Federal Diploma to become a Web Project Manager, and I created this website as part of my final dissertation.
I decided to pursue the career path of officiating and ‘A Lovely Day’ was born. I could not be happier with my decision, as now I get to do what I love and help couples share their love with each other!
Organization and celebration, a true calling
Creativity, strong writing skills, great organization and interpersonal intelligence are all qualities that I have strongly developed throughout my career, and it excites me to share these with couples who are looking for the perfect speech on their perfect day.
My experience working in the world of weddings, made me decide to write a blog. This blog delves deep into tips and techniques, stories of ceremonies I’ve worked, information on music and locations (venues). Overall, it’s a representation of the work I do to make a ceremony perfect.
In 2016, I gave birth to a beautiful little girl. She gave me the inspiration to expand my company into naming ceremonies, and secular baptism.
I have been mentioned several times in magazines, in online press publications, on TV and radio. You can find these by clicking on the ‘Media’ tab.
Fun facts about me
- I never wanted to get married, until I met my now-husband, Sergio. He changed my life is the most positive ways possible!
- Writing is not just a hobby for me, it is a passion. I have been writing since the age of 8, I find something so special about being able to put words together to make a beautiful story.
- I can read endless amounts of books. When a book captivates me, I can easily finish it in a day – or at least I could before I had a daughter!
- I have traveled to over 30 countries, most of which have been solo backpacking trips. I love adventure and the outdoors. My favorite place to travel to has been South America.
- Music holds a very important place in my life. My father (among the stars now) was a Jazz musician, which helped me develop my keen ear for music. He is also the reason I speak 6 languages.
- I love animals, and I fight against animal cruelty every day. I've been vegetarian for more than 10 years. I am a proud owner of two cats – Balam and Nunki.
- I try to live a very eco-friendly life, which can be difficult when you love to travel, but I work hard at it.
- I love timeless design as well as vintage clothes, antiques, and old movies. In my free time, I like to browse vintage stores as well as flea markets to give a new life to old things.
- I am an idealist and my plan is to put more LOVE in this world!